"For all intentions and purposes, she had been a private citizen after stepping down, and siguro, to a degree we would like to spend as much time as possible as a family with her." explained Senator Noynoy Aquino of their decision.
Aquino, however, said that there will still be honor guards at the wake, as per tradition in wakes for former government officials.
The Aquinos also announces President Cory's wake and memorial services schedule as listed below:
- : President Cory's body will lie in state at the La Salle Greenhills (LSGH) gymnasium.
- : The wake will be open to the public (Gate 5 entrance for public and Gate 2 for media) from 5 p.m. on Saturday and will continue until Monday. The daily viewing schedule will be until 4 a.m., and will then resume on 7 a.m.
- : A mass at the LSGH will be held at 8 p.m. on Saturday, August 1.
- : Daily Catholic masses daily at 12nn and 8 p.m. at LSGH and Manila Cathedral.
- : "Dedication Garden for Tita Cory" at the Sacred Ground of EDSA Shrine (where supporters can put flowers, prayers, candles and notes to Cory).
- : President Cory's remain will be transferred from LSGH to Manila Cathedral on August 3 at 11am.
- : Chronological service will be held at the Manila Cathedral on August 4.
- : Necrological and vigil service is on August 4 from 4 a.m. until 6 a.m. at the Manila Cathedral.
- : On Wednesday, President Cory will be buried at the Manila Memorial Park after a 9 a.m. mass at the cathedral. She will be buried beside her late husband, Senator Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino Jr.