Just when everybody thought that everything seemed to be a losing battle for GMA-7 primetime programs, along came Darna saving the day and proving that the Kapuso network can still give a good fight.
After almost a year of getting a "so-so" standing in the ratings game, the Kapuso network has finally gained back its primetime supremacy when the new "Darna", with Marian Rivera in the title role, generated a whopping 44.1% ratings on its pilot episode last night, August 10, 2009.
Aside from leading the primetime programming last night, Darna also posted a significant margin of 11.8% over second-placer "Tayong Dalawa" which only generated a rating of 32.3%.
For those keeping an eye on Marian's ratings value, Darna's 44.1% pilot rating is Marian's second highest primetime-series opening, after Dyesebel's 44.9%. While Marimar got 36.6% and Ang Babaeng Hinugot Sa Aking Tadyang with 32.9%, respectively, on their pilot episodes.
However, the pilot episode of Marian's Darna is still 3% lower than Angel's Darna in 2005 when the latter's generated a 47.1% rating, making it the highest pilot episode of GMA-7 primetime series in the last 5 years.
During Angel's time, GMA-7 was already lording the ratings game in Mega Manila. But it cannot be denied that Angel's Darna made history when it reached 52.1% on its fourth episode, where Angel appeared in a Darna costume for the first time.
That figure was also the highest rating achieved by any GMA-7 show at that time. It was only broken in 2008 when the final episode of Marimar, topbilled by Marian and Dingdong Dantes, achieved 52.6%.
It should also be considered that Marian's Darna came at this time where ABS-CBN is giving a very strong competition in the ratings game. Also, Darna is pitted against May Bukas Pa, considered the No. 1 program of the Kapamilya network, which also topped the primetime race for a number of times.
Last night, May Bukas Pa slipped to sixth place with 24.6%. Aside from May Bukas Pa, Darna's pilot episode, which ran for over an hour, was also pitted against Only You, which came in seventh place with 24.5%.
Here are August 10, 2009 Top 10 Daytime and Primetime programs based on the survey of AGB Nielsen Philippines among Mega Manila TV households:
1. Eat Bulaga! (GMA-7) - 26.5%
2. Kung Aagawin Mo ang Lahat Sa Akin (GMA-7) - 22.4%
3. Ngayon at Kailanman (GMA-7) - 21.6%
4. Daisy Siete: Kambalilong (GMA-7) - 18.3%
5. Wowowee (ABS-CBN) - 17.1%
6. Kambal Sa Uma (ABS-CBN) - 14.4%
7. Hunter X Hunter (GMA-7) / Pilipinas, Game KNB? (ABS-CBN) - 12.9%
8. Chill Princesses (GMA-7) / Hole In The Wall (GMA-7) - 11.9%
9. Miss No Good (ABS-CBN) - 11.5%
10. Precious Hearts Romances Presents Bud Brothers (ABS-CBN) - 11.4%
1. Darna (GMA-7) - 44.1%
2. Tayong Dalawa (ABS-CBN) - 32.3%
3. 24 Oras (GMA-7) - 31.9%
4. Rosalinda (GMA-7) - 28%
5. TV Patrol World (ABS-CBN) - 27%
6. May Bukas Pa (ABS-CBN) - 24.6%
7. Only You (ABS-CBN) - 24.5%
8. Adik Sa �Yo (GMA-7) - 22.7%
9. The Wedding (ABS-CBN) - 20.7%
10. All My Life (GMA-7) - 19%
Source: AGB Nielsen Philippines via PEP